Jeremy Manley, Executive Chef
1. We all know this one but a friendly reminder is add a lemon or lime to your glass of ice water to refresh your taste buds.
2. When you eat coconut, you are not only getting the benefits from the coconut water but also from the actual coconut fruit as well. They are naturally filled with electrolytes which help keep you hydrated and cool.
3. Put down the ice cream and pick up a bowl of yogurt this summer. No, don’t do this just because yogurt is healthier, but because of yogurt’s high water content. It will cool you down even more than ice cream can.
4. This suggestion may take you by surprise…soup! Usually, after being outside in the scorching heat all day, the last thing you want for dinner is soup. However, it actually cools your body down from the inside out. Plus, broths are loaded with water which will help keep you hydrated.
5. Potassium-rich foods like bananas, potatoes, and avocados can help prevent heat stroke and can be incorporated into your everyday diet.
6. Pick up the cucumbers and put down the pickle! They’re cooling and don’t have the added salt that can cause additional dehydration. Add them to your sandwich or glass of water for a refreshing twist.
7. Avoid coffee and tea. They are diuretics that heat up your body on the inside, which is exactly what we don’t want during the summer. You should also avoid sports drinks and sodas because they dehydrate you and disrupt your body’s temperature mechanism.
8. Take the time to cut up some fruit. They’re a great way to curb that sweet tooth and maintain fitness goals. Go for some grapefruit, which is 90% water, or watermelon, which is 91% water.
9. Try experimenting with new herbs like mint, cayenne pepper, and lemongrass. They actually decrease your internal body temperature by letting heat escape from your pores.
10. Another surprising heat suppressor is spicy foods. They heat you up quickly but in the long term, they will help to cool your body down. There’s a reason why so many tropical regions of the world have spicy foods as a staple in their diets.
11. Drink Yerba Mate tea.
12. According to Chinese medicine, berries are all very alkaline, which means that they will generate cold energy in the body and cool you down. Berries are also high in water, so they help thin the blood and release heat.